Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Tombs, Trains, and Lattes

Our day in Moscow was fabulous! The weather was wonderful, we got to see many things, and even enjoyed some familiar treats in this far away place. Our hotel in Moscow was excellent--we are so thankful for the Marriott points we were able to use there.

The highlight in Moscow was being in Red Square with Phil's mom, Clara. We had been walking around enjoying the sights and sounds of Moscow for a while already, but something about standing in front of St. Basil's Cathedral is huge and grounding. Clara stood there looking at the gorgeous building and with tears in her eyes said, "I never imagined I would be standing here again...With one of my sons...to bring home my 12th grandchild...I just can't believe I am really here". We are so glad she is here to share in this with us, and we are also thankful for her Russian which is helping us get directions, order our food, and buy groceries with a bit more confidence than our last trip.

We also went to "visit Lenin" as they say here. Now, this is creepy I will not lie. His body looks so strange in this dark, quiet dungeon of a tomb. Phil and I had wanted to "see him" on our last trip but it was busy and confusing and we ran out of time. This time, I was determined--it feels "once in a lifetime" to me. And I will not forget it. Perhaps the strangest thing I have seen, and very, very creepy. But also unforgettable.Starbucks and McDonalds helped Barrett feel safe and well fed. He has eaten french fries at nearly every meal so far I think. He also has a strong affection for pelimini, a ravioli type soup that Phil's mom has been spoiling us with for many years. Between the 2, I know he will always be well-fed here. (Not the mention the hefty stash of snacks and goodies we brought from home--a special thanks to Jamie for all of our favorites!)

After our morning in Moscow, we headed to the train station. Getting all of us in the train cabin with our luggage must have been a sight to behold. We did make it however and all took a rest in our very small, HOT train cabin. We were told that they lock the windows in the cold months...and the heat is on full blast. Everyone did great and we were thrilled to finally arrive in Nizhny around 7pm.

It is amazing how good and familiar everything feels here. We even saw some of the same hotel staff as our last trip--familiarity brings such comfort.

It is early in the morning here. We are waking up at strange hours, but also taking naps when needed so we feel rested. We head out to see Ivan in a few hours. I simply can't believe we are back and will be holding him again in such a short time. We are also tremendously thankful as our coordinator here said there is no problem with Barrett and Clara going to the orphanage with us--we are THRILLED with that as it was a question mark before we left to come. I am not even sure of all of my emotions about this visit honestly. There is such an unknown element about every single part of it. But we are going back to see our little man. We have been dreaming about this and praying for this and waiting for this. We are excited, nervous, ready, and peaceful. God is very near.

Thank you for your continued prayers.

No comments: