Friday, October 31, 2008

Today.

My life has been forever changed. I will never again see October 31 the same. Today, in a small court room up many flights of stairs, on a brisk day in Nizhny Novgorod, Russia, I became a mother of 4.

We have just returned from our court hearing where Ivan was pronounced Ivan Philip Wolf and part of our family forever! Court went smoothly. Barrett did wonderful sitting silently and ultimately I am convinced won favor from the judge for us.

After our speeches, the judge asked some questions, a few of them about Barrett. She was so impressed that he was there, behaving so perfectly. She asked how he felt about having a brother and if he had been able to meet Ivan. The Lord was so very present, giving us peace and calmness. We spoke clearly and without mistake. The judge smiled many times, especially when looking through our family photo album. There was an unexplainable calm in the court room--the Lord mabe Himself known.

As the end of court came, the Public Attorney granted her approval of the adoption, but did not give her consent to waive the 10 day waiting period. Our coordinators knew how much we were desiring this but had communicated that it is not common in Nizhny anymore and is unheard of in many other regions in Russia. Our hearts sank when the Attorney's words were translated. The judge left the room and I asked if the judge could disagree with the Attorney and waive the 10 days anyway. We were told that the judge had never disagreed with the Attorney before. I sat down, closed my eyes and began to pray. Although I will admit that I was nervous and worried, there was a much more dominant feeling of confidence upon my entire being.

Many months ago, one of our pastors shared the following passage with us: "The king's [ruler's] heart is in the hand of the LORD. Like the rivers of water; He turns it wherever He wishes." Proverbs 21:1. I am convinced that the Lord put this on our pastor's heart for us for this very moment. This is how I prayed.

Our translator was very nervous and upset. As I finished praying, I knew that the judge would waive the 10 days, even though the attorney had said No. From the beginning, this process has been evidence that it is the Lord who is at work and will receive all credit, not any woman or man. I knew that though this would be the first time it had ever happened this way, it could happen this way with the Lord at work. His mighty Hand moved.

The judge came back, waived the 10 days, and we were done. Parents of 4. Mommy and Daddy to Ivan forever. This day will never be forgotten. We left in a daze. Our coordinator and translator rushed out to complete the final steps of our adoption. Final steps.

We are set to pick up Ivan tomorrow!! We will spend one last day in NN and then head down to Moscow on Sunday. Phil and Barrett leave for CA on November 3rd and Clara, Ivan and I get to go home on November 7th!

This post is full of errors I am sure, and I know it is not very well-written, but I am busy and excited and overwhelmed. Thank you for your prayers! Here are just a few photos of us with Ivan yesterday...more to come SOON you can be sure!



11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dear Wolf Family
Congratulations on the adoption of IVAN!!!!! I have really enjoyed reading your posts this past week and also reading your amazing testimony of the Lord's presence in all of this. All I can say is WOW. What an awesome God we serve. We are rejoicing with you that everything has gone so smoothly and that all of you are doing well
We will continue to lift you up as Ivan joins you today-that the adjustments for him may go smoothly as well.
I can't wait to see more pictures and hear more about your trip.
Have a wonderful day today!!!!
Blessings
Sharon L Nienhuis

Shannon said...

SOOO excited for all of you. A BIG grin on my face from ear to ear. Praise the Lord for this story, Ivan's story. Can't wait to hear more.

Shannon

Shannon said...

Hey Melanie!

I've been obsessively following the blog the past few days and praying for you guys. To open it up today and hear this awesome news ... WOW. Today (Halloween) is my birthday, and you know what, it is THIS news that has made my day. I am SOOOO very happy for you and your family.

Now that I am no longer part of GUM and now live on the other side of the country (PA), it is unlikely that I will ever get to meet Ivan ... but that doesn't mean I won't be praying for you all!

I imagine that what you're feeling in these moments is what we would call "unspeakable joy." God is GOOD.

Congratulations, Wolf family!!

-Shannon Pipkin

Anonymous said...

I am not sure how I am going to work the rest of the day... I am so thankful and excited! Can't wait to talk to you!

Melissa

Unknown said...

Congrats! We are so thrilled and know that the Lord worked in so many ways, to make this happen. You guys are awesome, and in for an awesome adventure as your now a family of six. :) As the Shinnick family once said, now things will be... well.... nonstop.

We will continue to pray for all the pieces to come together for your awesome day tomorrow, and for all of the special days to come. Enjoy Moscow, Russia, and we'll see you on your return.

Now all glory to God, who is able, through his mighty power at work within us, to accomplish infinitely more than we might ask or think. Glory to him in the church and in Christ Jesus through all generations forever and ever! Amen.

We love you guys! The Pecks

Christy Shinnick said...

LET THE BONDING BEGIN!!!! Can't wait to see you. Happy "forever family" day to you little IVAN PHILIP WOLF. We love you!! Can't wait for you to learn to swim in our pool and USE OUR TOILET like your brother and sisters like to do:)

Love, The CRAZY SHINNICK FAMILY

Lindsay said...

Yea Wolf family!! Praise the Lord...the God of our was, our is, and our is to come...so perfectly good to us.
"For the Lord is good, and his love endures forever; his faithfulness continues though all generations." Psalm 100:3,5
We can't wait to meet the whole Wolf family!
Full of joy for you,
Lindsay

Anonymous said...

WOW!!!! GOD IS AWESOME!!!!!! Enjoy every sendond of taking Ivan from the orphanage tomorrow. There is nothing like it!

Congratulation Mom and Dad!!

Congratulations Big Brother

Congratulations Grandma (Babauska)

Lorie
MO

Jenna Moorea Schuette said...

I haven't been able to contain my tears of joy all morning. The Lord is so faithful! What a journey of faith this has been for your family & all of us you have been behind you in this. Thank you for inviting so many of us to be apart of this with you.

I cannot wait to hold this precious new Wolf. Hurry home--we're anxiously waiting! I'll be praying for safety, and most important that that precious little Ivan will be overjoyed with the love of his new family.

Blessings & love,
Jenna

Children's Hope International said...

Congratulations!!! Ivan looks like such a precious little man!

Always a blessing to see God at work!

Jennifer N.

Anonymous said...

Welcome Ivan to the Wolf Family!!! To the COD family!! Praise our Lord for working as His word promises He will!! We just can't wait to have you all home & meet your newest member.