Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Filling it!

I took the plunge and ordered a baby sling. It was a bit of a monumental purchase for me as I have still not been buying much for little Ivan. But I felt ready to get my sling (and felt like I needed to practice a bit before the item was fully necessary to use). I have never had a sling before. But all of my cool mommy friends use slings now and I have read oodles of positive comments about using a sling to promote attachment in adoption. So I'm in the club now...I am planning to be a slinging mommy...we'll see if the little man and I grow as fond of it as everyone else seems to be.

Now, slings are as varied as ice cream flavors so you can be sure I had a bit of stress over which sling to order. I settled on a "hybrid ring sling" as it seemed to be a good "starter sling" and fairly easy to use. It arrived on Saturday and I was a bit overwhelmed but up for the challenge, so I scooped up my 3 and a half year old (who weighs A LOT more than Ivan) and took the sling for a..."sling-spin"! Maryn giggled the entire time and I got more comfortable in the different positions it can be used. (Well, "comfortable" is maybe a stretch. She is 40 pounds and that was a bit heavier than I would prefer the sling to be).

I thought about posting a picture of me with my small dog in the sling, but it is honestly a bit disturbing. Although closer in size to Ivan, again, disturbing and a bit damaging for my dog I fear! I am however posting a few pictures of my girls and the slings I made them. They simply could NOT go without them and begged me to order them one right away. I decided to do a bit of research and after finding a free pattern online and some fabric in my garage, we were all set. It was a fun project and each girl helped me sew their own. There have been lots of baby dolls taking rides on my sweet girls lately. They have love practicing being mommies. (Maryn actually prefers to carry small stuffed animals. Which is quite handy really as she is like a zoo-keeper these days...we honestly have kittens, puppies, elephants, a koala, and an assortment of other small cute things with us wherever we go. And please don't be concerned, they must ALL be buckled in seat belts in the car when we go anywhere. Literally. Like a traveling circus.)

So, I am gonna be a sling-Mommy and I am pretty stoked about that. My wise friend said the other day as she spoke affectionately of her super hip Mommy sling, "The only thing better than having it is filling it..." Amen!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Soo cute! I am such a fan of "babywearing" I have a few different kinds but not a ring sling, so you will have to tell me if you like it when little Ivan is "filling it".

I have a picture of Addison with our cat in her toy sling. I need to learn how to sew so I can make cool stuff like that. :) Love you guys!

Anonymous said...

You're gonna love slinging as much as your girls do I'm sure! Here's to filling it sooner rather than later!!!

The Landers 4 said...

Hi. Loved reading your blog and following along with you.

You've been tagged! Enjoy, it's a fun thing to do while we wait...

Rules:
1. Link to the person that tagged you.
2. Post the rules on the blog.
3. Write six random facts about yourself.
4. Tag six people at the end of your post.
5. Let each person know they have been tagged.
6. Let the taggers know when your "Six Random Things" entry is up.

Cheryl

Katie and Duane said...

You have been tagged.

Please go to our blog for rules.

Thanks.

Katie and Duane