Thursday, October 30, 2008

Full

We have just returned from our visit with Ivan. There really are not words for what today held for us. I was nervous this morning before we left and even for the hour and half car ride to his orphanage. We sat down in the orphanage Director's office first and heard a medical update since we were last here. The anticipation was building and my patience was wearing very thin.

We were then taken in to the family meeting room where Ivan was waiting for Phil and I. That initial moment of seeing him was more than I expected. All of my anxiety and fear were washed away and joy took over. He looks mostly the same, with a tiny bit more hair but not much change in his size. After a few minutes with just Phil and I, we sent for Clara and Barrett to come in. Again, there are not words for these meetings. Barrett was great with him and he took to big brother very well. Thankfully I took another set of the same stacking cups he fell in love with on our first trip. Ivan and Barrett were precious playing build the tower and knock it over. Barrett also loved feeding him Cheerios which he really likes.

Ivan took to Clara also-it was such a special moment to hear her speaking Russian to him and introducing herself as his Babushka. He loved her glasses and jewelry and was all around very playful and interactive. Everyone in the orphanage LOVED her and is so excited that he will have a true Russian Babushka!

He is walking a bit now so that was fun to see. Still not entirely confident on his feet, he preferred to hold onto one of our hands to get around--contact we of course were thrilled with. Truly, the entire visit was rich and wonderful--we felt confident and at ease.

My mama's heart was filled to overflowing as Ivan fell asleep on me by the end of our visit. I have said many times that I think there is healing power in holding a sleeping baby...today that was even more true than ever before. Tears rolled down my cheek as my baby boy slept on my chest. I breathed him in and thanked the Lord for yet another tender act to my soul.

We are heading out now for a meeting to prepare for court tomorrow. Our court case is at 2pm which we have learned since being here is actually 4am in CA as Russia has switched to winter time already. We feel excited and hopeful. We will be sure to update right away after court.

I also want to share a wonderful thing we were able to witness and take part in today. I was asked by my new friend Tracy who adopted a little girl from Ivan's orphanage only a few months ago, to take a photo album of their little girl back to the orphanage to show them how well she was doing. The Director was thrilled and of course remembered the sweet little girl. She kept saying Thank you, Thank you very much, and was delighted to be able to keep the album and show the other caregivers. Thank you Tracy for allowing us a window into this miracle. I have photos of the Director looking at the book for you!


13 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello Wolf family,

My name is Lorie Joslin. My husband and I adopted our two gorgeous boys from Novosibirsk Russia through CHI in April of 2006.

I am addicted to watching adoption blogs and praying for all of the families.

I could so agree with the paragraph that starts with "My Mothers Heart". That is the EXACT feeling that I had. So much so that here I am at work, IN TEARS!!

Enjoy all of your time in Russia and cherish every moment.

Oh, and by the way, you should post your mother in laws recipe for Pelmeni.

Your family is in our prayers,
Lorie Joslin (lojozz@yahoo.com)
dh- Jon
ds- Jon Carter - 6
ds- Barak - 5

Anonymous said...

Oh my! I have been so anxious to hear about you all seeing Ivan again. Of course I am also in tears at work and just so excited to hear more. And even more thrilled to meet my new nephew very soon!!!

Melissa

Shannon said...

My heart too is very full this morning thinking about all of you in Russia, and praying for you as well. It struck me as to how much of a blessing Clara is to you this trip. What a special time for her to be in her home country and yet for a very different reason than when she left. Mel,as I have been praying for you these last few days, what keeps coming to me is the you are exactly where you need to be. At this moment. In this time and place. Picking up your precious little boy. We will continue to pray for you as you are in court in the morning.

Blessings to all of you,
Shannon

Tracy said...

I have tears in MY eyes right now!!! Your little boy sounds so precious :) . What an awesome thing, to have your Russian mil with you. I'm sure that she'll be a great comfort to Ivan. I also got the chills when I read about the director looking at the photos of Ashlyn AND you got photos of that!!!!! THANK YOU so much Melanie :). Please know that I'm here for you if you have any last minute questions or concerns. You're going to do just fine tomorrow :)!

Roger and Joanne said...

Congratulations on the reunion with Ivan again so quickly. You write so beautifully and with emotion and detail. Please keep the posts coming.
Such a special trip for all Five of you!

Best of luck in court!

-Joanne

Anonymous said...

Melanie,
Thanks for sharing your experiences with all of us. I am sitting at my desk at work and forgot where I was as I read your post. I have tears of joy flowing for all of you. Our thoughts and prayers are with you.
Love,
Aunt Cindy

Carey and Norman said...

What a wonderful day for you and your family. I am so excited to read about your visit with Ivan. How wonderful for him to cuddle with you and feel comfortable in your arms.

What a wonderful experience to see such compassion by the orphanage director as well. What a blessing to know what care was given to your sweet boy!!

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much for updating and sharing this incredible experience, it is a blessing to read and pray and as I think of little Ivan I watch Libby who is only a few days younger, I can't wait for them to be in the nursery together. What an amazing God we serve, may he grant you continued peace & grace!

Anonymous said...

I couldn't be more thrilled for you - my heart is just soaring as I think of how it must feel to hold this new son to your heart. God is just revealing these puzzle pieces in your lives - awesome. I am also really thrilled for Clara - what an overwhelming experience this must be for her - I am so glad she was able to share this with your family. Know you are in the thoughts and prayers of the Thomas family. Many blessings. Stephanie Thomas

Chrystal said...

So happy for you! Treasure these moments with your son. While we were in Russia it felt like FOREVER. We were so far away from home and what was familiar. But looking back, we realize it will be the only time in our lives all we have to do is concentrate on loving our children... oh, and not ending up in a Russian emergency room (Lexi!) ;) We're praising God with you and marveling in his perfect plans, perfect timing, perfect will....
We're praying for court. Remember, when you arrive, God is already there, presiding over everything.
Love,
The Mocabees

Anonymous said...

We have been following your blog for a while and just wanted to say good luck for today.I read your last post in tears as we hope to be in your shoes soon as we are awaiting a referral from Nizhny at the moment.

Christy Shinnick said...

Hi Guys,
All is well here. Picking up your Mom at the airport went smoothly and she has been delivered safely to your girls!! She is so excited to be here but says it feels weird not to see you, Phil and Barrett. I am so thankful all has gone so well so far. I'm glad you got that moment of pause and tears when holding Ivan. That sweet baby smell is starting to leave my house these days and it saddens me. I guess I'll just have to love up on Ivan when he comes home. Hopefully, he'll like me more than ZEZU does!!!
Love you guys!!!
Christy

Wendy said...

The whole Martinez fam read this and we are drinking in every word that comes from you so far away. Know that we are praying for the details and can't wait to meet sweet Ivan.