Sunday, October 26, 2008

The Crazy Place


I am living in the "Crazy Place". You know the place where you can't complete a logical sentence, can't remember what you went into the garage for, and can't finish ANYthing? That is where I am. I call it the Crazy Place. It is also the place where I get bizarre surges of "super productivity"--I clean out the garage, move all of the furniture out of the bedrooms to have the carpets cleaned, pack, unpack, and repack suitcases , do a million and one errands at super speed, and still have time for a nice warm bath in the wee hours of my quiet night. But all the while, in between my productive surges, I am in the crazy place. I forget to eat (actually I should say I forget to eat meals, I seem to have no problem remembering to eat peanut butter M&Ms and Hot Tamales!), am WAY TOO sensitive to sounds and distractions, and sometimes stare off into space.

People keep asking me if I am excited. In all truth, I am not. I am overwhelmed. I am happy, I feel peaceful, and hopeful, but I am not excited. Excited feels light and free, I feel nervous. I wonder what I have forgotten. I can't decide whether to wear pants and a twin set or a dress or a suit to court. (advice welcome here!), I look at my lists over and over again in hopes that something can be checked off. I feel a heaviness, a weight that recognizes how HUGE this trip is. Please don't misread my language here. I am overwhelmed with many things: emotion (lots of tears at lots of random moments), resolve, , thanks, and that sense that though what is ahead is massive and daunting, it is beautiful and worth every stress and headache. I think this is how I felt when I was being induced with each of my daughters too. I was ready for the end, but overwhelmed at the thought of how I had to get there. This is how I feel tonight.

But when I am wandering around my house feeling overwhelmed, trying to choose which task to tackle, I peek into "the boys' room". I sometimes even go sit and rock in the chair. I unfold and refold blankets, pajamas, and outfits. I imagine Ivan here. Ivan will come home to this crib in this room in this house,...MY HOUSE!! When I walk into this room, my craziness subsides, even just for a moment. I rest in the overwhelmed place, because what is ahead, what is at the end, is what we have been hoping and praying and dreaming about for many, many months. I find peace here. God is so good.
(PS- there are photos of Ivan in this photo that have his face missing...this is creepy I know. I only did it on the computer so I could post this photo...his face is very present and very cute on the photos that are actually IN his room!)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Melanie!
Get used to the crazy place! I happen to be a full-time resident! I call it Crazyville! Won't you be my neighbor? The boys' room looks so ready! Poor Ben just got moved into Kat's room, complete with pink drapes. :) As far as court, I wore a dress twice and slacks and a dressy sweater the other time. Either way, I recommend heels of some variety and I was personally more comfortable in the dresses (which is quite a departure from my day-to-day jeans and a t-shirt!). Wear what you feel best in! We are sending all our prayers your way. Have an incredibly blessed trip. There's nothing like it!
Love, Lindsay H.

Anonymous said...

Dear Wolf Family
I am THRILLED to hear that you will be leaving in the morning to pick up IVAN! I can't even imagine all the emotions and thoughts going through you mind right now.
Please know that I will be praying for you while you are there. Praying for your girls left behind that they will do well and stay healthy while you are away, and for an abudnace of peace as you walk out the door of your house. Peace that passes all understanding, peace that only comes from HIM. May you be able to relax and enjoy this precious time with your son and husband. May there be no worries about things you forgot, and things back in California. May all the connections flying go smoothly along with all the activities you need to participate in to bring IVAN home.
I can't wait to hear the rest of the amazing journey. God bless each of you and we will continue to give HIM all the glory for how He has blessed your family!
Many Blessings
Sharon L Nienhuis

Shannon said...

Many blessing Mel on your trip. We are praying hard for your trip, your peace, and for the grace of Christ in the midst of the crzy place. I chuckled at this post because I have experienced first hand this crazy place in your house. But for me it as always is refreshing to experience in your sweet home beucase it is real. It is you and sometimes Phil, Maryn, Barrett, and Maggie all at once, but it is all of you in the midst of being family and all the ups and downs that family life brings. Now that your fmaily is bursting at the seams for this somewhat of a birth of a new life for Ivan Wolf you have every right to feel crazy. So thanks for continuing to be authentic. You will be on my mind and in my prayers the whole time you are there.
Shanny

Christy Shinnick said...

My dear Friend,
You have done it!!! Try not to worry about all the little things right now and just focus on the BIG PICTURE. Don't worry about only eating CANDY. Sugar rushes can get you through the day:) We will all be waiting to shower that little guy with love. Have a great trip and I pray that all the details fall right into place.

Love, Christy