Thursday, September 25, 2008

Prayers

In these L...O...N...G days of waiting during our adoption process--first to just begin our paperwork, then for our agency to get re-accredited, for us to get assigned to a region, then to be officially registered in that region, to receive a referral, then to finally travel to meet Ivan, and now to hear about a court date from Nizhny, there is little I can do but pray. For a "type A" like myself who likes to fix, figure out, and accomplish, this is torture. But I am learning to get comfortable in this place, the place of prayers.

Prayer has always been a central part of my relationship with God, an ever-growing part. I have been in prayer groups since college. I have led prayer groups (1 currently with 4 amazing college women). Prayer is something I am constantly desiring to learn more about. And do more. I know I need to pray more.

I have even gotten to speak on the topic of prayer a few times and what I always come to in my preparation, study, conversations, and even prayer about prayer is that if I really believed that God heard my prayers, my life would look very different. I would not worry. I would not stress. I would pray and hope and trust. Period.

Earlier this year, I came in contact with another adoptive parent. She has a gorgeous daughter from China and her accounts of praying for her little girl during their long process to adopt her helped me pray for Ivan. God opened my eyes and gave me ways to pray for Ivan specifically even before we met him. I pray for health of course, but also for his sleep, his birth parents, his caregivers. I pray that God would gently rock him back to sleep when he wakes up in the middle of the night. I pray that he can hear God singing sweetly over him and find comfort in the loving arms of God when he cries. I pray for his complete healing and restoration--I picture God's huge healing hands laying softly on each part of his body: his head and brain, muscles and organs, bones, limbs, and especially his little heart and soul. I ask the God who knit him in his birth mother's womb to carefully and precisely heal and restore him. And I know God hears me. I am believing that more and more each day.

Right now we are also praying for:
  • Our final documents (recently expired) to be finished and sent to Russia.
  • Fingerprint clearance extension for our I 171-H--we got an appointment TODAY and will go first thing in the morning! PRAISE GOD!
  • Ivan's health--he is losing weight. He has lost 7 ounces since we were there and is already very small so that is concerning.
  • To find favor with the judge in Nizhny so we can be invited to court soon.
  • Details with our court trip--Melanie's mom is hoping to fly out to care for the girls; this trip is likely to fall during playoffs for Phil's coaching job; Barrett and Phil's mom plan to travel with us.
  • Our adoption finances--we have quite a ways to go.
  • God's healing peace for our agency, CHI--major restructuring has put strain on directors, staff, and adopting families.
  • God to continue to prepare us to be Ivan's family.
  • God to use our story and experience to encourage others and spread the word about adoption.
And as I mentioned, I know God hears. His answers already in our process have at times left me speechless. I sometimes go back through each of these answers, the little miracles where God richly blessed us, and I remind myself that He is the same God today. He continues to hear and He continues to answer. And I will continue to pray.


1 comment:

Mary and Michael said...

Just checking to see if you have any news on a court date. Hoping you hear something soon :)