Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Baby Toes

We took a family outing last week. It is a fairly rare thing these days for us to all pile in the car and head somewhere together just for fun so it was a special treat.

Early in our adoption process we decided that we would purchase some things for the orphanage, specifically for the children who would remain there after we brought our little one home. Our kids were especially excited about this--dreaming of all of the legos, puzzles, and coloring books they would purchase and donate. We tried to encourage their giving hearts while also knowing that those were not likely things that would be needed or even wanted, especially in a baby house (or baby orphanage) like the one where Ivan lives.

During our first trip, we noticed that many of the "American" toys, or things we assumed were purchased in America, were on display in the family visitation room, the room where we met Ivan and where other families will go to meet their new sons and daughters. We realized that we needed to bring something terribly practical, useful for day to day life in an orphanage. While we were there, we brain-stormed and day-dreamed about what we could take, seeing Ivan's little feet gave us an idea.

Our first day visiting with him he had on tights under his pants. Royal blue tights that might have fit me if I had tried them on (OK, maybe not, but they did not fit him). They swallowed him, his feet literally swam in the extra fabric. On our second visit, we found him in two pairs of socks, one that fit and one that did not. Now I have a real thing for baby feet, for teeny tiny toes. I love to tickle them, smooch them and even take a delicious little nibble of the very bottom where they are so soft and smell like, well, baby feet.

We took Ivan's socks off most of the time we were with him, but I know that is not very popular in Russian orphanages. They love to bundle the little ones to keep them warm and protected from drafts. They always bundle their feet. It was then that I had an idea. What if we took some of those soft, leather baby shoes? What if we collected them and donated them for the children?

I pitched the idea to our kids once we were home and they loved it! Especially Barrett who has spear-headed the family fundraising efforts. One of the first things he had wanted to purchase after he bought his own plane ticket were some things for the orphanage. He decided to start with these:

Twelve pairs of soft, leather baby shoes that we think will be very practical for the children. Barrett had a blast choosing them (although his first-born nature was slightly stressed out with the size and decoration options). He paid for them himself, with money he had recently earned in a HUGE recycling run. It was priceless to see him pull the cash out of his zip-loc bag which reads, "for Russia". The check-out clerk was very impressed by his articulate response to the "What are you buying all of the shoes for?"question as he handed her the bills. "For my brother's orphanage in Russia" he responded with a proud grin. As she handed him his change she told him that her own brother was adopted too. Smiles, a nod, an instant bond.

I love these little shoes. I kind of have a thing for anything small, anything teeny and dainty. And I love these. But what I love most when I look at them is thinking of all of the teeny tiny baby toes that will fill them and be kept warm and cozy on even the chilliest days in Russia. I have been praying for all those teeny tiny toes, for health, love, and forever families that will tickle, smooch, and nibble their delicious little feet. I know not many of those toes will have forever families and that makes me very sad. But for now, I hope these little shoes will keep those precious baby toes safe and warm, as all baby toes should be.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Melanie-

The shoes are darling. It was fun to hear about your family outing to go get them, you were so excited about it the day I was with you, so it was fun to see pictures of Barrett buying them and what he picked out. So refreshing as always to be with you last Friday. Dan and I continue to pray with your family for Ivan and for this time of transition. Love you... Shannon

Wendy said...

love the shoes...a perfect gift for those kiddos.

AdoptaMama said...

Hi! I'm not exactly sure how I came across your blog, but I'm enjoying following you on your journey. My girls (6 & 7) have been home from Russia for 3.5 years now and they are the light of our lives!

Great story! Your son should be very proud of himself.

I recently read about this: http://www.robeez.com/en-us/heartandsoul.htm?PriceCat=2&Lang=EN-US I'm not sure if you've got enough time to do it, but your shoe story reminded me of the Robeez program.

Best of luck and God speed!

~Patti