Friday, September 5, 2008

Bummed and Blessed

We have no news on a court date so that is a bummer, a big bummer. The judge is now on a month-long vacation (I am beginning to think that a Russian adoption judge is not the worst gig in the world!) so we just have to wait this out and see what happens. Wait. Wait. Wait. It is simply amazing how many times I use that word in reference to our adoption process...it MUST be the most frequently used word on adoption blogs: we all wait, wait, wait, and wait some more.

The truth is, I have been feeling a little "void of emotion"at times, very "IF we get a court date" and "IF we get to bring Ivan home" and I hate that. I try to "snap out of it" and get some positivity, but I struggle if I am honest. The wait takes it toll on my mind and my heart.

Well, today I received a major blessing! When I am bumming, I blog-stalk...I read and re-read blogs I love and seek out new ones. In an attempt to catch up on some I hadn't seen in a while, I re-found one I hadn't seen in months. Something in this blog quickly drew me in and I hadn't read very much of it so I decided to "look back" and try to get more of the story for this beautiful little girl who also was adopted from Russia. As I looked back through (she has been home 4 months), I realized that she was adopted from Nizhny Novgorod! I got so excited I commented on the blog right away in hopes to connect with this family to talk about Nizhny. As I looked further, I saw a photo they had taken of their little girl on their 2nd trip and I flipped out. She was sitting on a rug that is forever etched in my memory. I read a little more and sure enough, I knew without a doubt that she was from Ivan's orphanage!!!

I quickly commented (again) with my email address and the news I had discovered. Her mom and I emailed briefly and decided to chat on the phone. We talked for over an hour and it was fantastic! Their little girl is only 6 months older than Ivan, we feel certain that they were at the orphanage together for a time. We exchanged stories and a few photos via email and yet another blessing emerged. There is a photo display in the orphanage of some of the children who have been adopted and their daughter's photo is part of the display! The mom recognized her immediately and even saw that in the photo her little girl is holding onto her new mommy's hands! When I told my kids about the whole situation, Maggie looked at the little girl's photo and said with a grin, "She and Ivan were TOTALLY friends, I just know it!"

I can't explain what a bright spot in my day this was today. I have found a friend whose baby girl lived where my baby boy is. She has literally seen what I saw and stepped where I stepped. We have both been in the same room in this unforgettable pink building...only a few months apart. This is absolutely priceless, a treasure beyond words. I feel so blessed and am thrilled for all that is ahead.


2 comments:

Mary and Michael said...

Thank you for stopping by to say hi on my blog. It's nice to know another Nizhny family! I will check back on your journey often. I agree with your comment about the Russian judges, really, a full month vacation?? I hope you have a court date soon, I can only imagine how difficult the wait must be in between trips, we are still waiting for registration and that is hard. How wonderful for you to find a family who adopted from the same orphanage. What a special bond.

Anonymous said...

Zdravstvujte
I've enjoyed reading your blog and found out while reading it that I have one of "the" bracelets (received as a Christmas gift from a friend...who adopted from China).
I understand about the waiting. Your mind can't concentrate because all you are thinking is WHEN? So you revisit your international adoption website and check the weather in your region...praying the call will come soon! Have you done Google Earth yet?
We adopted a 13 mo. little girl from Kaliningrad Russia in '06....she is almost 3 now. What a journey! When we were in court, the judge, etc. got hung up on my maternity leave; they couldn't believe I didn't get half a year off with pay.
Anyway, during our adoption, I had to visit Psalm 27 often for my own reasons....thought I would share Psalm 27:14 with you today. "Wait for the Lord; Be strong and let your heart take courage: Yes, wait for the Lord."
I have a friend who travels for mission, and she told me something that helped while I was in Russia so far away from my 8 year old son (for 28 days). "Even though you are not able to physically be with your child, God is big enough to be with you both at the same time!" ....God is in Russia with Ivan whispering your words of love in Ivan's ear and allowing Ivan to see your face...feeling your love from half way across the world.....I'm convinced of it!
God Bless
Poka!
Julie Berger (julieberger@mcdougal.com)