Saturday, August 16, 2008

Vanya



Back in early 2008, I ordered a book titled Vanya. It was a bit of an impulse buy when I am honest. It came to me on Amaz0n as a recommended book because of my affinity for biographies and autobiographies of other Christians. I absolutely love to read the accounts of women and men of faith--their stories inspire me.

I picked up Vanya a few times and started it, but never got very far. It is not that I wasn't interested, there were just other books on my bedside table that seemed a little more pressing to read. Vanya is the true story of a soldier in the Soviet Red Army who endured two years of horrid persecution, torture , and incarceration for his faith in the 1970s. The accounts of his bold stand for his faith in the living God are unforgettable. Vanya was eventually martyred (the back cover of the book gives away this fact as well...I am not spoiling anything I promise!), but only after experiencing amazing miracles in his own life and the life of those around him as he prayed for them and God answered in unbelievable ways.

When I finally picked the book up on my visit to see family in Tennessee this summer, I literally couldn't put it down. I finished it on July 2nd while flying home to CA and managed to read the final paragraphs while walking off the plane with luggage in my arms. I told and re-told so many of the stories in this book so many times, that even my kids can recount what God did in and through the life of Vanya. My oldest, Barrett, has asked when I will let him read this book that has quickly risen to my favorites list. I have ordered extra copies and passed them to close friends. This book inspired me, it increased my faith, and it enlarged my view of a mighty and powerful God. It challenged my prayer life and drew my heart closer to the One who answers.

When I received "the call" from our agency on July 7th to learn about our referral for a little boy named Ivan, I was overcome. So many things raced through my mind and my heart in those unforgettable moments. I remember writing the few facts about Ivan down and even re-tracing them as the reality sunk in. I shared the few details with Phil, and then with tear-filled eyes told him: "Vanya's real name was Ivan".

Vanya is the story of Ivan Moiseyev. "Vanya" is the popular nickname for Ivan in Russia. "Vanya" is the nickname for our little Ivan as well. Each time the caregiver or our translator referred to him, they called him "Vanya", and every time I heard that name, I remembered the life-changing story of Ivan Moiseyev, fresh on my mind and impressed upon my heart forever.

I believe God led me to purchase that book many months ago, to set it back down on my bedside table on a few occasions, and then to read it only days before we would learn about another little "Vanya" to remind me that He is here! He is the living God, the God who heals, who sees, who saves, and who works miracles in the lives of those who call upon Him. While I don't know the end of the story of this "little Vanya", I do know that the living God who radically moved in the life of Ivan Moiseyev is the same God I love and serve today.

I hope you'll read this incredible book, and when you do, would you please utter a prayer to the Living God for our little Vanya too?


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a neat story, how very thoughtful our God is. I love books like that too, I'll have to pick it up. We're so excited for you all & keeping your family including Ivan in our prayers!!

Pretty Ditty said...

Hey you! It's me jamie.... remember...vics wife =) "L" told me about your blog and I am so excited to keep up with everything via your blog.

Wow, so much has gone on. I will keep it all in my prayers. God Bless.