Friday, November 14, 2008

One Week

Ivan and I have been home one week today. My tiredness tells me it has been much longer, but it has really seemed like a blink. He continues to be a joy and loving him is a deep privilege. We are learning routine, relationship, and what it looks like to be a family of 6. (This attempt of a photo of our 4 went really well I think :) As I said, we are LEARNING what it looks like to be a family of 6...or 7 if we count Ivan's closest pal and greatest rival...our dog!) Before I move onto what is heavy on my heart, I will share a precious photo of Ivan. When I look at him I just can't believe it is real. He is ours. Two weeks ago today, he slept his last night in the #7 crib in a room with 15 others. Tonight as I rocked him to sleep, I said over and over again, "You are home... You are home...Finally home."


Today has been an interesting one. Phil's brother and his family lost their home last night in a fire. Everything. We are so thankful they are all OK, but grieving with them this tremendous loss. Their kids has lost their favorite things, and the family photos and home movies are now among the charred rubble where their house once stood. It literally burned to the ground. It is a sobering and haunting image to picture them standing where their house once was and looking around to find almost nothing that was once theirs.

It has made me do some thinking today. My heart aches for their loss and grief, for their kids and for them as parents as they try to navigate this loss not only for themselves, but also for their children, our nieces and nephews. This will impact them for the rest of their lives.

I have also been blessed tremendously by the community that is rising up to help, support, and bless them and the other families who have been affected by this tragedy. Strangers want to help. Many of our friends, who have never even met Phil's brother and their family, want to know what they can do, what they can buy, how they can help. I am so thankful for the love that is already emerging to help them through this time. I know that it is not about the replaceable things, but about the things which can't be re-purchased, etc. But what blesses my heart right now are the huge hearts that are ready and willing to do whatever they can. Our family has also experienced this beautiful grace this year.

We have been blessed repeatedly this year by the kindness and generosity of many, many people. Some we already knew, some we know now, and some we will never even meet. When I think of how Ivan's life has changed in these last two weeks, I am convinced that our greatest gift to him is not from us at all. His greatest "gain" is this rich community of people who love, give, and sacrifice. His greatest gain is our greatest blessing also.

Please pray for Dave, Jill and their kids tonight. We are asking God to draw very, very near.

5 comments:

SPKarenO said...

Oh Mel - which fire took thier home? If I can help let me know.
Karen O.

kim said...

So sorry about their loss. We will keep them in our thoughts and prayers.

Pretty Ditty said...

I will continue to pray for them.

that girl said...

hi, I am an old frien of Kristi's and came across her blog and now yours. I am interested in the angel bracelets. can you send more information?

encouragesilly@gmail.com

that girl said...

also, I am praying for your friends and their loss.